Wednesday, October 3, 2007

It was a cold day but no rain or snow, lucky for me.



Working temp for several years took me all over the City and into new surroundings on a regular basis.

One temp assignment I was sent to for two days sent me to the downtown area into a historical building to a company that invested in mines just covering for the receptionist and to have an extra two hands for a few days since they were closing a big deal.

The first day I spent in the Receptionists’ chair doing not very much but I had a chance to scour the Company website and learned a bit about them. The second day the Receptionist was back and they used me as a Gopher.

“Would you mind going out and buying coffee and donuts or maybe muffins?”

“Of course not!”

Well, at first they couldn’t decide to send me to Starbucks or Tim Horton’s but in the end they sent me to Tim’s for several coffees, a few teas and a commomile and four dozen assorted donuts and muffins.


~ (Tim Horton) ~


“Do you think you can carry it on your own?”

“Of course I can!”

So off I went down the street, cross at the lights to the office building on the corner and down the stairs to the underground food court, a place I’ve never been before. I arrived to find a 15 minute line-up at Tim’s of people ordering their morning coffee and muffin or bagel. Wait until these people behind me hear me putting in this order for 4 dozen muffins/donuts and a dozen coffees/teas. Won’t they be delighted to know it will take them so much longer just because they stood in line behind ME! So I made sure not to make eye contact with anyone and placed my order.

Carrying it back would be a challenge but I was surprised to realize they had bags and carrying trays to make it simple. The bags were clear with long handles and I thought it must be an advertising gimmick so everyone I passed on the way could see the boxes of treats with “Tim Horton’s” on them. As I balanced the coffee and donuts on the walk back to the office I realized the clear bags served a double purpose since everyone I passed saw I was carrying food and gave me some space without me having to shout, “Get out of my way! I’m coming through.” And so I arrived back at the office without spilling the coffee all over the sidewalk or dropping the boxes. Well, weren’t they impressed!

A few hours passed and they asked, "Would you mind taking a short walk and delivering a letter to an address not too far away?

“Of course not!” After all, I knew the downtown core like the back of my hand. No, I didn’t! But I took on the new assignment with great confidence and took a 20 minute stroll to this address where I was to leave the envelope with the Receptionist. The Receptionist would not accept the envelope and gave me instructions to get to the Mailroom. After walking around the maze in the basement level, I found the Mailroom, gave the envelope to the Mail Clerk and left without asking for a receipt since that was not part of my instructions.

When I returned to the Office and they confirmed that the envelope had been accepted without any problem and one of the Executives thanked me for helping to close the deal by delivering the envelope that had enclosed a $12,000,000 cheque which was a down payment to purchase a metal alloy mine.




So I e-mailed my 21 year old daughter who was working as a nanny in
England at the time and I asked, "What would you do with $12,000,000?"


And her reply was:


First she'll ...


And then she'll ...


And then she'll ...


And she'll ...



SmileyCentral.com




And then she'll ...




And then she'll ...

Fly "Around the World in 80 Days"

And then she'll ...




And then she'll buy ...




And if she has time maybe she'll...


come looking for me.

And she asked what I would do with 12 million dollars.




... and when I get home I'll find someplace warm, maybe


... and I'd buy a modest home and
... retire!

SmileyCentral.com

No comments: