Wednesday, August 8, 2007

... Worked ... Sunny & Hot ... Today I Made a Great Stamp Discovery ... What? ... You Don't Have to Know!




















“Yes! We have no bananas. We have no bananas today.” I’ve been told this is a war time song (WWII). It seems that during the war manufacturing and imports come to a halt including imports of food. During WWII it was common for people to go to the grocer and ask, “No bananas today?” And the grocer would usually reply, “Yes. We have no bananas today.”

Food! Who can live without it? Well I can live for 2 – 3 days without it but that’s about it. Cooking and eating are not my favorite things to do. I hate that it takes several hours to put together a meal and when you sit down to eat it, it’s gone in about 20 minutes. There was a book, “The I Hate to Cook Book”. It was written it just for me and others like me.

When I was a teenager my mother took me grocery shopping with her every week. She wouldn’t have it any other way, so I could buy the food I liked to eat. Anything I wanted as long as I ate. She hated seeing me so thin but I just wasn’t hungry. Black forest ham, genoa salami, potato chips, cheesies, hickory sticks, Joe Louis, Flakies, ice cream sandwiches and sometimes bananas.

But once we were home, I had to share all that food with my two sisters. We always tried to make things “Fair ‘n Square”, but my older sister always ate half of the best stuff before we got to it and that left my younger sister and I to split the remaining half between us.

I remember having a conversation in high school with some friends in the Cafeteria about food and what their mother’s cooked and their parent’s always told them, “Eat what’s in the house and what’s on the dinner table.” They couldn’t believe that I could pick anything I wanted to eat off the shelf at the grocery store.


No comments: