Sunday, December 14, 2008








A few weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, I was sitting in the cafeteria with a co-worker of the Muslim faith who told me that Monday was a Muslim Holy Day and I asked him what this celebration was about. He began to tell me the old bible story of ~ Abraham ~ who, when he made his journey to ~ the mountain ~ with his son to make a human sacrifice of him (an ancient Jewish tradition), God appeared to him and proclaimed that there were to be no more sacrifices made of their children in his name. I didn’t know this story was part of the Muslim Holy Books as well! This is certainly an occasion to celebrate and it just so happens that this celebration falls during the Christmas season. I wondered to myself why Christians didn’t think to call a Holy Day for this special occasion.

A few weeks have passed and the Christmas festivities are well under way and I remembered the part of The Christmas Story of King Herod who was told by his prophets that there would be a child born who would be greater than he and so he ordered a killing spree of all the boy infants two years of age and under. Mary, Joseph and their child went into hiding and baby Jesus was spared and because of this salvation the world changed.



~ The Story of the Nativity ~

















No comments: