Saturday, August 4, 2007

MY APARTMENT

YEAR OF THE PIG - A HONG KONG ISSUE

Back to work today ...











(The View of the Night Sky from My Apartment)

After work today I came home to “MY Apartment”. A tiny, 865 square foot castle in the sky. Well, not quite in the sky. I’m only a few floors up from the ground because the last apartment I lived in had fire alarms often in the middle of the night so I chose this apartment to save me the aggravation of climbing all those stairs in the middle of the night when those alarms go off. I bought from the plans and it took about two and a half years to build. I was one of the first to move into the building since they moved us in a floor at a time and for awhile every time I opened my apartment door there they were – the men working in their hard hats and boots. All that dust and noise during the day! It took almost a year before the dust cleared.

The apartment complex was a redevelopment site and the location can’t be beat. Steps from the subway, lots of shops and several parks with lots of trees, a pool, a gym, a party room, a movie room with about 20 theatre chairs and wall to wall movie screen, 24/7 Security but the tackiest carpet that I’ve ever seen in the all the hallways. The view of this apartment complex in the night sky is spectacular. I understand the area competes with Upper Manhattan and the City has big plans for this neighbourhood.

Having downsized from a 2,600 square foot home, you can imagine that my apartment has too much furniture and accessories. The worst part is that I’ve had to store some of my belongings in a separate location since I couldn’t part with them. I’m not sure it this was a good idea because at some point my monthly charges will add up to more than the furniture is worth but most of the things I stored were inherited from my parents and I hope to pass them on to my children.

Much to my surprise the design over the entrance, which is just below me, completely blocks my view. There are only two apartments that are affected and mine just had to be one. I considered complaining and asking for a break on my maintenance fees since I keep the light on for most of the day but now I’ve reconsidered. My balcony is a good size and sitting outside a few weeks ago I realized this wall gives me quite a bit of privacy since I’m so close to ground level I’m completed blocked from the view of cars and passersby. Keeping the light on all day suddenly doesn’t seem like such a bad thing.

As for that farm I wanted to live on when I was young because I wanted a horse, of course, of course, I doubt I’ll ever get there. A horse would be nice but I can live without the cattle and pigs.









No comments: